University of Minnesota Extension

Extension is expanding its online education and resources while in-person events and classes are canceled.

Extension > Extension in your Community > Itasca > County Natural Resource Educator > Articles > Information on moving docks, lifts and equipment in Itasca County

print icon email icon share icon

Information on moving docks, lifts and equipment in Itasca County

Moving docks, lifts, and equipment to another waterbody

If you plan to move a dock, lift or other water equipment from one lake or river to another, all visible zebra mussels, faucet snails, and aquatic plants must be removed whether they are dead or alive. According to Minnesota law, the equipment must be free of AIS and dried for 21 days before it can be placed in another waterbody.

Storing lifts and docks for winter

It is legal to take water-related equipment out of infested waters – even if it has zebra mussels or other prohibited invasive species attached – and place it on the adjacent shoreline property. Boat lifts, docks, swim rafts, weed rollers, irrigation equipment, or pumps can be moved from infested waters and placed on the shore without a permit.

However, if you want to transport a dock or lift from infested waters to another location for storage or repair, you must have a DNR authorization form to move it legally to the new location.

If they hire someone to move/store their equipment then they should make sure that the provider is on the DNR's list of Permitted Service Providers (list is organized by county). 

If you hire a business to install or remove your boat, dock, or lift, or other water-related equipment, make sure they have completed AIS training and are on the DNR's list of Permitted Service Providers. Lake service providers that have completed DNR training and obtained their service provider permit will have a permit sticker in the lower driver's-side corner of their vehicle's windshield. They have attended training on AIS laws and many have experience identifying and removing invasive species.

More information and forms can be found on this website.